what penetrating sealer to use on the block wall

Old 02-01-09, 02:12 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I finally built by short but long block wall out of Keystone Legacy block. One of my main concerns was the efflorescence on the block that I see way too often around here. My assumption was that it's usually coming from the moisture behind the wall and then through the face of the block. Well now i see some efflorescence coming thorough my block and I know it's not from the back. I seated it pretty good with 4mil plastic and it's all gravel in the back.
Can I seal the face of the block as well as the top row of it to limit the water penetration or it's all futile efforts and I should just forget it and just live with efflorescence?
Thanks!

Old 02-01-09, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Don't bother sealing the face of the retaining wall. It does little good and can be detrimental. Efflorescese can be brushed off with a stiff brush.

Applying a sealer to the caps can help if they are installed "dead flat" without a slight slope to the front of the wall.

Since you have efflorescence on the face, you have excess water held behind the wall in the backfill.

Do you have the recommended granular backfill and a perforated drain behind the base of the wall?

Dick

Old 02-01-09, 02:55 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks!
& yes i do have both a 100% backfilled with 3/4" gravel, landscape fabric against the soil and 4mil plastic against the block for water shedding, 4" drain behind the wall with 8" drop below the lowest block. Since I have the "Legacy" block (self capping) i did not use the cap, although still considering it. Not that I am questioning your knowledge , but what makes it detrimental to use the sealer on the face or top of the block?
Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: