Removing a brick wall?

Old 02-06-09, 05:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing a brick wall?

May seem like a silly question but...I am in the process of planning a new kitchen and want to expand the kitchen into first bay of my carport....(a new garage is part of this plan too). The entire length of the side wall is brick to include a brick chimney. I want to remove the brick and save as much of it as possible. I feel this will take me a few months to do...a few hrs after work each day.

1. How much of the brick can I expect to salvage?

2. Any tips, tricks, tools I should know of?

3. Anybody want to help

Thanks for any feedback,
JIM

Old 02-07-09, 10:59 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You'll kill yourself trying to save the brick. If you do the job a little at a time, are you going to leave half of the wall opened for weeks?

If I were going to do the job, I would rent a chipping gun and a Partner saw, buy a couple of sledge hammers and cement chisels. Hire a few day workers. That way you can demolish in a day or two. Don't forget to build a temporary wall before you start.

PS Did you have an architect draw the plans?

Old 02-07-09, 03:55 PM
I would not think the brick is supporting anything??? It's siding right?? My neighbor added a bathroom to their brick house and the contractor used the old brick for support pillars. It seems as if they were able to save a lot of it.

Not sure what a Partner saw is but a chipping gun makes sense.

I have not consulted an architect for this job as of yet. I do have an old friend who is an architect who I may give a call.

Thanks for your response.

Originally Posted by Pulpo
You'll kill yourself trying to save the brick. If you do the job a little at a time, are you going to leave half of the wall opened for weeks?

If I were going to do the job, I would rent a chipping gun and a Partner saw, buy a couple of sledge hammers and cement chisels. Hire a few day workers. That way you can demolish in a day or two. Don't forget to build a temporary wall before you start.

PS Did you have an architect draw the plans?

Old 02-07-09, 06:20 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Yes, call your friend. Don't assume that the wall is not supporting anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: