Huge crack in poured concrete!!! Help

Old 02-08-09, 08:37 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of a good temporary fix that I can apply to my poured concrete wall to stop water from coming in? I tried hydraulic cement but the water pushed thru!

Once the ground thaws I am going to fix it for good, by grading and draining properly. but for now i have to stop this!

Any suggestions will help.

Many thanks in advance!

Old 02-08-09, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I don't know what "huge" means, but usually hydraulic cement does of good job.

One key is the preparation, when you create a dovetail shape to allow the hydraulic cement the "lock" into the crack as it cures. All the fines/dust must be removed, but the concrete can be damp.

The second key is to make the the hydraulic cement does not have too much water, because you must force and pack it in into the crack. It is not like a caulk or concrete, which must be able flow. You definitely do not smear it on.

It is best to do small batches, because it starts setting rather quickly. You are deal with a small amount (cup or two) of the cement and can be mixed easily.

I have seen it used to plug running water if it has the right consistency.

Since you have a huge crack, it would be smart to determine the cause. If it is a shrinkage crack that is very common to poured basements, it should not grow. If it is a structural crack, it could continue to widen and leak again.

Dick

Old 02-08-09, 05:11 PM
S
By huge I mean it is from top to bottom (8FT) it is about 1/8 inch thick as well! im not sure tho if it is structural or due to shrinkage. Thanks

Old 02-08-09, 06:47 PM
P
Look in the column of stuff on the right of your computer screen. There's a video of how to repair a foundation crack.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: