Chimney Repair Question

Old 02-27-09, 11:38 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chimney Repair Question

When I had my chimney swept, they said that my brick chimney needed to be repointed where the mortar was cracked, and the concrete cap was cracked and needed to be ground down and replaced. They want $1200 which seemed pretty steep.

I looked it over, and there are some areas of the brik where the mortar could stand to be redone. The cap has some small cracks and there is some very small space around the edge between the concrete and the chimney. I believe I can repoint the bricks based on reading through the site. My question is should I mix my own mortar or can I use those premixed tubes that go in caulk guns.

Second, as far as the concrete cap goes, can I repair the cracks myself and maybe caulk the tiny space between the cement and brick? Any advice would be appreciated. It seems a very minor problem now, but I want to nip it in the bud and not make it worse trying to wing it. Thanks.

Brian

Old 02-27-09, 02:05 PM
S
If you use this fireplace/chimney the only product in a tube I'd consider is fireplace mortar in a tube.Otherwise the concrete repair caulks could be used in the cracks.

A lot of this is about the exact nature of the cracks.As for the cap I'd use real mortar but the caulk products would probably be ok for the edge area.

All that said,real mortar is better than caulk repair products as the caulks are not real mortar and are often latex or synthetic materials based.

Old 02-27-09, 02:26 PM
B
Thanks for the response. Any particular tricks or pitfalls I should know about? I have never done this particular job before. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: