Change windows to doors in brick veneer home

Old 03-08-09, 06:48 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Change windows to doors in brick veneer home

My husband and I have two windows side by side in our living room. We wish to convert them to french doors so that we have a back door. The house is brick veneer. Is there anything special that we should know before cutting into the brick at the bottom of the windows?
THank you in advance for any help!

Old 03-10-09, 10:10 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Brick

If you have brick above the windows, you will need a lintle long enough to span the width of the new door unit.

Old 03-10-09, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
Hopefully the RO for your door will not be wider than the existing RO for the windows. Because if it is, you not only need a new lintel, but you also need a new, longer header.

You also will likely find some electrical lines running through the wall underneath the window, but you might get lucky and find none.

The bricks will need to be cut down far enough (roughly 5" below the floor level) so that you can lay a new, sloped row of bricks across the bottom of the threshold, like a sill. The front edge of your new door will then overlap the new brick threshold.

The cut edges of the brick will not look very nice next to your new door, so you either need to tooth out those cut bricks and replace them, or cut the opening about 8" wider than needed, and lay up a new row of stack bond bricks, so that the cut edge of the opening looks finished. Capping the cut edge of the brick with metal, or some sort of wood trim would look tacky, IMO, but I'm not sure what sort of quality you are going for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: