concrete insulation barrier

Old 03-19-09, 03:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concrete insulation barrier

Hey guys,
I'm just starting a bathroom project in our unfinished basement and I'm sure will have many questions as I proceed, but have a question about the floor first.

The shower, toilet and sink are stubbed out and vented. The concrete slab is not level and I plan on using leveling compound to get straight.

I was wondering before I pour it should I put down an insulation barrier?
I plan on finishing with ceramic, and may put down electric radiant heat before the tile.

I'm thinking the barrier may help with cold and also water vapor migrating from below. If I do want to put something down first how do I address the primer issue that most leveling compound companies want you to use?

thanks
the deacon

Old 03-22-09, 07:01 PM
B
youwant a warm floor and not run your electric bill up...tear out the concrete put 2 inches of faom under your floor and up the sides to the beginning of yoru studs then pour a new level floor

in radiant heat systems dont think the old way "heat rises" think the radiant way "heat goes to cold" if you do not insulate with high r value insulation your heat will be sucked right out your basement floor...your tile may be warm but electric meter will be warmer!

the bubble wrap you speak of is worthless for this type of application

Old 03-23-09, 11:25 AM
T
thanks for the heads up Billie. Much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: