concrete foundation vents/need help

Old 03-28-09, 11:04 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concrete foundation vents/need help

I am a first timer when it comes to mortar work, so I plan on doing some tuck pointing first to get a little experience.The bigger job will be to install some concrete foundation vents.My plan at this point is to mortar- in the two verticle sides of the vent and the horizontal bottom at the same time, and secure the top area with wood shims to hold everything steady.Then come back later and do the top.Since I am a beginner I thought this might be easier for me to work with rather than all four sides of the vent at once.If you have any advice on any aspect of this project let me know.

Old 03-28-09, 01:33 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi xp, A couple of questions. Are you looking to vent a crawl space? If so does it have a concrete floor or dirt?

I'm going to assume crawl space, so here is the dilemma. Most people look to vent in the summer and seal it up in the winter, when actually the reverse is better. Humidity is the biggest problem in crawls and basements, so inviting warm humid summer air into a cool environment is generally bad, i.e. mold and mildew. In the winter, the outside air is cold but dry and a little venting reduces the humidity.

So tell us what you are doing and we can advise from there.

Bud

Old 03-28-09, 02:29 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
foundation vents,

Thanks for the information about closing the vents in the summer.I was doing the opposite, like most people around here and did have a big exterior mildew problem.The crawl space is a dirt floor with plastic covering.Someone put my foundation vents in upside down, with the hinge on the bottom.Most people would not worry about that but not me.I want to learn how to do this anyway and I have the equipment to take out the existing concrete crawl space vents and orient them the right way.I'm retired, so time is not a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: