Sealing interior exposed brick wall

Old 03-28-09, 11:48 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealing interior exposed brick wall

I'm considering sealing our exposed brick wall in our kitchen to eliminate some of the dust that comes off of it over time. I was going to use DRYLOK water base 5% silicone brick and masonry sealer. My main concern in using this is that it may affect the color of the brick and mortar and make it appear darker in color. We had the brick re-pointed and the mortar color turned out darker than I had wanted. Since our kitchen does not receive a lot of natural light I don't want to do anything to make it any darker. Can anyone tell me from experience if the sealer will darken the color of the exposed brick wall?
-TIA

Old 03-29-09, 09:13 PM
S
yeah, sealer will darken brick walls by a shade or two; nothing egregious, though.

if you want to consider something cheap and unorthodox, i have seen masons apply pledge (the furniture polish) to finished masonry to give it a glossy coat. that would definitely remove any dusty qualities from your masonry. maybe not what you're after, though.

cured masonry shouldn't "emit" any kind of dust. it's as static as painted drywall.

have you tried using a high-powered shop vac with a brush attachment?

Old 03-29-09, 09:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Disregard my post, already answered.

Old 03-29-09, 09:29 PM
T
Masonry sealers that will reduce dusting will also darken and gloss the masonry. There are sealers that will repel water and not change the appearance of the masonry, but they do not address the dusting issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: