Fixing Retaining Wall cracks

Old 03-31-09, 12:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fixing Retaining Wall cracks

I have a couple of large cracks down my retaining wall in the front yard (brick). Some of the crack goes through the brick, some through the mortar. I tried some of that mortar patch stuff, but it didn't look right and some of the cracks are fairly wide... I wanted to do it right and have it look right. (The crack is just from settling and the wall is not leaning, etc.)

I bought some non-shrink grout (50lbs) but since I'm COMPLETELY new to this, I'm not sure what to do. Is this the right stuff for the job? If so, do I have to mix the WHOLE bag, or should I just mix some? If some, can I just make an educated guess on how much water to add, or should I weigh out everything? Also, the package mentioned this stuff burning me... what precautions should I take? It was also stated that I should use a mixer attachment on my drill. Is this necessary? What consistency should I mix this stuff to? Should I 'pour' it down into the crack, or work it in with a small trowel? Do I need to chisel out the existing mortar even if it is secure against one of the bricks? What's this business about keeping the stuff 'damp' for three days... how can I accomplish that? Watering the brick once/twice a day?

Sorry for all the questions... but I need some help!!!

Thanks!

jason

Old 04-07-09, 05:42 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there anyone that can help me on this? I would like to get started before it gets too warm outside. Please!!!!

Originally Posted by jlwlynn
I have a couple of large cracks down my retaining wall in the front yard (brick). Some of the crack goes through the brick, some through the mortar. I tried some of that mortar patch stuff, but it didn't look right and some of the cracks are fairly wide... I wanted to do it right and have it look right. (The crack is just from settling and the wall is not leaning, etc.)

I bought some non-shrink grout (50lbs) but since I'm COMPLETELY new to this, I'm not sure what to do. Is this the right stuff for the job? If so, do I have to mix the WHOLE bag, or should I just mix some? If some, can I just make an educated guess on how much water to add, or should I weigh out everything? Also, the package mentioned this stuff burning me... what precautions should I take? It was also stated that I should use a mixer attachment on my drill. Is this necessary? What consistency should I mix this stuff to? Should I 'pour' it down into the crack, or work it in with a small trowel? Do I need to chisel out the existing mortar even if it is secure against one of the bricks? What's this business about keeping the stuff 'damp' for three days... how can I accomplish that? Watering the brick once/twice a day?

Sorry for all the questions... but I need some help!!!

Thanks!

jason

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: