Basement Leak.

Old 03-31-09, 08:16 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Leak.

I am need of help! I have been in my house for 1 year; it is a split level home approximately 30 years old. I was removing baseboards in my basement when I noticed the drywall was damp. After removing the drywall I found that the 2x4 footers that meet in the corner were both wet and rotted. I removed the drywall, footers and studs approximately 2 feet on each side of the corner and 1 foot high. This is where a majority of the damage was. I found a spot in the corner were the cement is missing between the two blocks.
In that corner the block and floor it is very saturated but, the blocks a little higher are moist. Could the upper parts of the wall just be moist from the lower leak or is there probably a higher leak?
I was thinking of filling the lower gap, allowing the area to dry then run some water by the side of the house to see if it still leaks.

Please help,
Steve Kelch

Old 03-31-09, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Basement Leak.

Look for where the moisture problem is outside the house.

What you are seeing is not the real leak, but only where the water shows up on the inside. The actual problem could be anywhere since water will flow horizontally until it finds and easier entry. If you just plug one spot, it will accumulate and leak in somewhere else.

Take a hard look at the exterior and your landscaping. I had a 3 level home that collected water from 60' away from where it finally showed up inside. - The block were filled with water 4' up in the basement wall, but the leak showed up in the corner (on the floor) that was as far from the collection point of the water that you could get.

Dick

Old 03-31-09, 08:48 PM
S
basement leak

Thanks. I talked to the previous owner and she said she had problems with water accumulating in that area. She had a company come out and install a gutter drain in that corner that ran under ground to a point about 8 feet from the house. That was about 7 years ago.

Steve

Old 04-05-09, 10:43 AM
S
steve: does the foundation wall sit above grade? if the area is below grade, how deep?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: