Outdoor flooring bricks; how do you remove white "stains"?

Old 04-10-09, 02:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor flooring bricks; how do you remove white "stains"?

Hi there

I know nothing about masonry or any DIY; I'm more the kind of guy who pays someone else to do it I am however generally good at finding answers for people on the internet, but in some cases - such as this - I just don't know enough basics so I'll have to ask on forums... which is how I ended up here.

My uncle has a problem with the outdoor flooring in front of his summer home. The bricks that make up the floor are getting some white stains. We don't know what they are, but they only seem to appear in areas not covered by roofing.

Does anyone know what these stains could be, and the best way to get rid of them/possibly prevent them from coming again?
If you have any questions just ask and I'll pass them on to get more details.

I took a picture to help illustrate, it should also better explain what kind of brick it is as I don't know the correct name of them: http://anime.dk/store/stain.jpg
Pardon the large size, I thought it'd be best to show the detail of the brick and the stain.
Also, here's a picture of the house: http://anime.dk/store/house.jpg
The bricks can just be seen at front, and you can just make out the white stains.

Many thanks in advance
-Jonathan

Old 04-10-09, 02:18 PM
T
It is called efflorescence and is caused by moisture wicking salts from the bricks.

It can be cleaned and the bricks sealed to solve it.

Cleaners and Sealers like those from ProSoCo.

Old 04-12-09, 03:05 AM
J
Super, thanks! I'll look into what sort of equivalent products we can find here in Denmark.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: