Question on corners--stucco over concrete block wall

Old 04-14-09, 09:57 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on corners--stucco over concrete block wall

Hello-

I have finished my 4' concrete block wall and I am getting ready to stucco over it (to match the house). The house is wood frame with stucco over the wire meshing. My question is do I need to put corner meshing over the corner edges of the concrete block...the edge of the capping and the corner edge. My wall is " L " shaped (shields pool equipment from site). Also, I am going to be applying a bonding agent to the concrete wall before I apply the scratch coat / brown coat. Should I apply this under the corner meshing or over it (or does it matter). One other thing --- Lowes sells a scratch coat / brown coat and a finish coat stucco. The finish coat stucco is white --- I intend to paint the stucco the same color as my home; however, I have noticed that several builders stucco is Grey colored when applied and dry--and then it is painted---wondering what the difference is in the finish coat. Thanks in advanced for your help!!! Forums are great!!

Old 04-14-09, 03:50 PM
S
you shouldn't need lath over concrete block; it's primarily for use over sheeting.

and no need for lath on the corners.

make sure the block is clean and dry before you scratch coat. you can wash with a 1:3 muriatic acid:water solution to remove film and fine grit. apply solution to a wet wall with a truck wash brush, let it foam for a minute or two, then rinse it down and let it dry for a good sunny day or so before scratch coating.

btw, what kind of climate do you live in?

Old 04-15-09, 08:01 PM
D
I live in NE Florida--so we are in the upper 70s and low 80s for a few more weeks with vairable humidity..then hot and humid starting in late May.....

Any info on why the finish coat is white and not the grey that I have seen many builders using?

Old 04-16-09, 07:30 AM
S
the gray is most likely a product called "dry-vit." here in the opposite corner of the u.s. it doesn't work so well. when applied to condos, you will see them wrapped in scaffold and plastic every 4 or 5 years while it's refinished.

stucco isn't really my thing. blocks are. but i believe proper stucco is white.

Old 04-16-09, 10:24 AM
T
Gray or white does not matter, both are cementious.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: