Shed Slab Addition

Old 04-16-09, 10:38 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shed Slab Addition

I have an existing 10 x 10 shed I wish to replace with a 12 x12 shed. The 40 year old slab is in great shape, the grade slopes front to back about 20 inches. I live in Illinois, the existing slab is about 4" thick with 7-8 inch thick perimeter footings. The frost line here is like 38-42 inches. I cannot add on to the front it buts up to the driveway. I plan to add (2) new 1 foot wide pours to the sides (current sides were not poured very straight) with similar depth as the current slab and attach to the existing with anchors. The question is the back, where the exposed concrete is 20 inches above grade. I want to add 2 feet to the back, however a pour approximately 2 foot by 2 foot by 12 foot sounds expensive and over kill. On the back side can I pour 2 or 3 twelve inch wide piers of similar depth as the existing slab and frame off of that? Or perhaps go a foot deep with the piers? Normally a pier a would pour to the frostline , my concern is that the new sections move with the existing slab and avoid problems with movement. Thanks

Old 04-16-09, 07:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would pour to the frostline. You don't want those things to "heave", to use a word that an old boss used to use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: