Building a window well with retaining wall blocks?

Old 04-25-09, 04:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm placing egress windows in the basement. I need window wells. I don't want the ugly plastic inserts or corrugated metal you see at the box stores. I would like to build one out of retaining wall blocks like this one:

The problem I am having, is the stones specify a height limit of 6 blocks (which is only 24"). My egress will be 42" on the sides, and two steps of 24" in the front.

Can I ignore the 6 block height maximum? I find it hard to believe a little plastic insert can work, but these blocks won't.

Old 04-25-09, 05:54 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Keep in mind that hydrostatic pressure and freeze-thaw cycles can exert a lot of pressure at such locations, here's an example I found at a recent inspection:

----------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson

Old 04-25-09, 07:11 PM

Joe -

The block you referred to in the opening post are just mini landscape block. There are normal retaining wall block that are slightly larger that are commonly used for walls up to 4' without any different construction, geo-grid reinforcement or engineering.

Most municipalities have standard design plates the routinely city uses for 4' high walls without any engineering. - Some block can go to 6' without engineering and I have have seen many miles of walls over 40' high that were engineered.

Old 04-26-09, 07:21 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I also see various sorts of precast "stone" egress wells, don't know who makes the one's I've seen, but GOOGLE turns up, for example:

- True Stone Egress Window Well

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: