Cleaning brick for carport enclosure

Old 05-04-09, 04:13 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cleaning brick for carport enclosure

Hello. Well read through some posts and have already started cleaning them but have a question. I have already removed about 35' of brick from my carport so that I can enclose the front and side and reuse it to fill in. Trying to avoid that vinyl siding look.

Anyways, I got it down removing the mortar with a hammer drill and 1" chisel. The bricks have three 1 1/8" hole down the middle. The brick layer that is going to rebrick says that as long as I get the tops and bottom clean that I dont really need to clean out the three holes. Obviously not drilling out the holes is a HUGE time saver. What do you all think? Is it ok to not clean the holes, or would it be ok to just clean em out a little on each side. This is the only time the bricks seem to snap is from the outward pressure of the mortar in the holes.

Thanks
Carito

Old 05-05-09, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
No Mason, but as I understand, the holes are for lighter weight and less material cost. Your expert says don't clean 'em, so don't.

Old 05-05-09, 03:28 PM
C
Thanks,
I had always thought the holes were there so that the mortar would fill through to the hole below it and make it stonger is all. Like cinder blocks do.

Old 05-05-09, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Block is not normally filled completely unless for special requirements like retaining walls, and even them might not be every void, just every few feet. I understand what you mean about locking the brick together through the holes.

Plenty of solid brick has been put up with just the mortar on the surface.

As I said, no Pro, but you have one telling you what he needs.

Old 05-05-09, 05:54 PM
S
put another way: this country - and a good chunk of western civilization - is built on bricks. and a lot of them from the beginning of the last century were solid bricks.

i'm giving you a pass: relax, put your feet up, and let the mason do his thing.

and if he asks you to mix or carry any mortar, tell him you're knocking half of his price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: