Clean Outside Chimney Brick

Old 05-06-09, 09:46 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Clean Outside Chimney Brick

Looking for the best product/ way to clean the outside of my chimney. Looks like there is some tar/ black stains on the upper bricks above the roof line. I have heard dilute hydrocholoric acid works and some people have said try a pressure washer. I don't want to experiment; just want the best product. Any recomendations?

Old 05-07-09, 02:01 AM
The black "stuff" is soot.
Chemical Soot Removers | Chimney Maintenance Products

The bigger issue here is whats the creosote like in the chimney. If this soot is leaching out of the chimney then its too cold and or slow air flow.

Is this a fire place chimney or a wood stove?

Old 05-07-09, 04:24 PM
E
Re: Cleaning Up Outside of Chimney

This ia a regular chimney for burning wood. I had a Chimney Sweep check the chimney last fall and he said there was hardly any creosote inside; he didn't even bother to sweep it!

The stains have been on the chimney for a long time, e.g. the previous owner, so they are over 20 yrs old. We do not use this fireplace anyway. I just want to clean up the outside.

Regards,
eagle1942

Old 05-08-09, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by eagle1942
This ia a regular chimney for burning wood. I had a Chimney Sweep check the chimney last fall and he said there was hardly any creosote inside; he didn't even bother to sweep it!

The stains have been on the chimney for a long time, e.g. the previous owner, so they are over 20 yrs old. We do not use this fireplace anyway. I just want to clean up the outside.

Regards,
eagle1942
Glad to hear it. Did he mention anything about it being glazed inside at all? Use to be the chimney sweep. I build masonry chimneys it made sense to clean them

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: