poured footings for deck post???????

Old 05-13-09, 09:15 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
poured footings for deck post???????

Hi all,
I just poured 3' deep 8" round footings for my log deck. I am putting 14' high logs atop approx.350lbs each. My question is how long should I let them dry for?
I have heard 3 days but question this.
thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-09, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The concrete will gain strength faster than you can stack up logs.

The big question is whether the footing base size is enough for the ultimate loads (wind, snow people, furniture, etc.) that will be on the house in the end. Was it designed for the site or was is a "canned" plan that should work everywhere?

Dick

Old 05-13-09, 09:25 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi woozoo, where are you? Fill that in on your profile and it will show when you post. And how did you come up with "8 inches around" for a footing size. A footing is usually much wider than the item it supports to distribute the weight over a greater area.

Waiting to hear,
Bud

Old 05-14-09, 10:26 AM
W
log poles

Hi, I am replacing the old deck on this log home. The old footings were 3' deep and 6" round. My new logs are 2" bigger than the old ones so I decided to pull out the old footings and replace with the bigger 8" tube forms.
Log poles are to sit on a little bit smaller form to allow water to drip by. Anyways I really need to know how long do they need to sit till I can load them with the new 14' high timber supports.
thanks in advance guys.

Old 05-14-09, 12:04 PM
M
I'm currently building a log home. For the porch posts (6x6) the plans from the kit manufacturer call for footers that are 24 inches square by 6 inches deep, with rebar. I think that's a bit over the top, but I also think what you've done is clearly inadequate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: