Slab repair after plumbing relocation

Old 05-19-09, 11:12 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Slab repair after plumbing relocation

I am doing a major renovation and have opened up a hole in each of the four bathrooms.

The largest hole is about 4' wide by 11' long. The next largest 2' x 9', the next one 3'x6', and the last one is just 3'x3'. These are 4" thick concrete slab with a wire mesh in them.

Now that the plumbing rework is finished I need to close these slabs off.

I understand from reading various sites for the larger holes I need to drill holes and insert rebars to help bond the old concrete and new concrete.

I also read that the old concrete surface should be straight line cut for best results. My concrete holes were created using a jack hammer so the edges are rough and irregular. I would rather avoid having to hire someone here to do a saw cut just to get clean edges. Will rough edges work?

When I opened up the slab there were a thick sheet of moisture barrier that I ripped open. How do I replace that sheet of barrier, the old one is all torn away if I cut a new sheet it will not seal around the edges. Any thoughts?

Finally, should I mix the concrete myself or order to have it premixed and delivered? The problem is the bathrooms are far away in 4 corners of the house so I have to wheel barrow it to each bathroom I worry I may not be able to pour it and smooth it faster than I need to wheel it in.

Thanks for any comments!

Old 05-22-09, 07:57 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PARTNER SAWS - By Fire Hooks Unlimited

I'd probably rent a partner ^ saw & cut it myself. I'd also rent a one bag mixer & mix the cement myself as well. Call a local building supply for some moisture barrier replacement products.

Old 07-08-09, 04:03 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I too was planning some slab work, to relocate a toilet, and was wondering what you determined to be the best method or a good course of action to fill in the concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: