Exposed Foundation Crumbling

Old 06-14-09, 01:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exposed Foundation Crumbling

I have an issue with my garage foundation which is crumbling on the outside and the inside. It's really starting to deteriorate quickly and I'd like to find a fix to stop it before it gets any further along. Obviously it was a poured concrete foundation. What is the best material and method to use to repair this issue? The inside is in a little better shape and I may be able to patch that first and let it set before doing the outside. But it's to the point where it is nearly a hole. I'm a single gal trying to figure this out on my own and have no prior experience with concrete patching.

Old 06-14-09, 07:07 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'll tell you how I would fix it but I would suggest that you look for the cause if the damage, such as a water leak or collection of water somewhere.

On the outside chop all the lose concrete with a chisel & hammer. Then cut a piece of plywood a foot longer the hole but leave some space on top to pour the new concrete between the bottom of the siding & the plywood. Attach the wood with anchors & screws or at least brace it so it doesn't move. Mix some mortar so it looks like sherbert & pour it in. I normally use portland & sand but that might be too much for you. Let it set overnight, remove the playwood & patch whatever you couldn't reach.

On the inside, just chop what's lose & patch.

Old 06-15-09, 06:10 PM
B
I have no gutters on that side of the garage, but I would be more apt to believe it is from snow getting in between the garage door and the structure and melting there. I live in the upper midwest and I guess it's possible.

So are you saying that something such as Quikcrete is not the answer here?

Old 06-16-09, 06:29 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Quickcrete has stones in it. I use it for PVC fence posts & other places where it won't be seen. I prefer to use Portland with sand but use a mortar mix if you want to avoid that.

No mattter what you use, make sure that you remove all loose pieces.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: