Exterior brick wall getting saturated with water

Old 06-17-09, 12:14 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior brick wall getting saturated with water

The exterior wall of my house is brick, and has a small 1 brick lip on the second story. When it rains, water is saturating the brick. Additionally, water is pooling on the inside corner where the wall meets the ground. This is a big problem because this is where my breaker box is. The interior first floor wall is cinder block. The cinder block is also saturated with water on the inside.

There is an image of the problem below.

I'm looking for advice on how to fix this, and also, what the actual issue could be. I'm not sure if the issue has to do with the brick itself, or maybe the siding. Im not sure who to call (roofer, mason) to fix this.

Old 06-19-09, 08:47 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
do you have an extension ladder? or is that window to the right accessible, so that you can look down at the area in question? look at the top of the brick where it meets the siding. is it cracked? is caulk missing? if water is penetrating the brick veneer, it can damage the wall sheathing behind it.

in any case, that stain is discoloration from water going where it shouldn't and the source of the water needs to be diverted or eliminated.

if the source is an accumulation of rainwater running down the siding and pooling on that brick ledge, the bricks need to be removed and relaid at the proper slope, or overlaid with a mud wash and flashed. (relaying the bricks will look better - flashing will be cheaper.) a mason can handle that part. there should be a good caulk joint between the brick ledge and the siding.

also, look a little higher. is there a gutter leaking above?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: