Surface Coatings company SEAL PAVE product

Old 07-15-09, 06:54 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Surface Coatings company SEAL PAVE product

Hi all,
I ran across an ad for asphalt sealant that indicated the product was 'Coal Tar Emulsion', which I believed was an 'oil based' product; I went ahead and ordered several 5 gal pails and on delivery noticed first that the buckets were different from the ad - White buckets with green lettering rather than Black buckets with white lables/black lettering... anyway, looking further I noticed printed on bottom of bucket - 'Latex Fortified', which got me thinking 'Did I get what I thought I ordered?'. Reading directions on back, it said 'Water cleanup' - definitely not a pure 'oil based' sealant but it does say 'Coal Tar Emulsion'.

Anyway it appears to be mfg by Surface Coatings under the brand name 'Seal Pave'. Does anyone have experience with this -- is it any good and will it hold up as well as a pure Coal (oil) Tar Emulsion?

Appreciate your comments and advice.
Greynold99

Old 07-15-09, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Their site, Surface Coatings Co Home Page, says it is coal tar pitch in water. Go figure. Never had the pleasure.

Old 07-15-09, 04:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
As a painter, I've always associated emulsion coatings with latex. There is a fairly new breed of paint coatings that is a "hybrid", it has many of the properties of oil base but cleans up with water. I don't know if this also applies to driveway sealer.

Labels change every so often so that alone wouldn't signify that you didn't get what you ordered. If you can't find anyone that's used it and you decide to coat your drive with it - let us know how it worked, and later on how it held up.

Old 07-17-09, 08:17 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just checked Lowe's to see what they carried

I happened to be at Lowe's last night and thought I'd see what they carry. Turns out they carried 3 different grades of the same company's product at around $19, $29 - 5 yr warranty, $39 - 10 yr warranty and they were all tar emulsion formulas with warm water clean-up.
I'm beginning to wonder if last years extreme price increase in crude oil and fuel drove the change to a cheaper asphalt driveway sealer?
Just a thought.
Greynold99

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: