concrete sealer and more

Old 07-25-09, 10:02 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
concrete sealer and more

I recently had a concrete driveway and sidewalks poured (about 56 cubic yards). It took 5 work days. Near the end of the pours, the contractor said that he would be coming back the next day to seal the driveway with "Cure and Seal." I did some research and found that the driveway should sit for about 2 weeks before sealing this way. I mentioned my findings to him and after some defensive discussion, he relented to waiting a week or so.

One of the pours has what I would call excessive flaking (in only 2 days afterwards), especially along the edges and center joint where trowel work was done, but it also is happening in the middle of the concrete. I asked him what caused this and he says that it's normal and he doesn't guarantee such things won't happen. He falls back on the statement that "everything will bleach out to one color in time." Will this flaking continue to worsen?

In addition, he didn't have me keep the driveway wet except for the first day (until dusk). The other days I would ask him should I wet the driveway, and he usually would say maybe one time later in the afternoon. Unfortunately after the fact, I have been reading that the driveway should have been kept wet for up to a week....

I wanted to give you this history so that you would have some idea to base your reply to my question as to what kind of sealant should be used. Again, he first mentioned that he would use "Cure and Seal." In the middle of the job, he switched his thinking to "AquaPel" (even though it would be so much more expensive -- something he brings up all the time). His justification for AquaPel was since the road I live on has much traffic and gets salted alot in the winter and the driveway will end up with a considerable amount of salt thrown up on it during the plowing, etc. Just recently, he said he's going to use a "white pigment" on the driveway so that it will all be white to put an end to my questions and concerns about the discolorations and flaking. Then, he'll "be out of here" in his words.

I read a thread here that discussed the white pigment that a gentleman had on his driveway last year and it didn't sound ideal. I would GREATLY appreciate your comments about this job and especially what sealant you would recommend -- particularly whether I should insist on the AquaPel (the way I am leaning). I'm confused about what this white pigment really is; does it just get mixed in with any brand of sealant?

Also, he said that he would lightly powerwash the driveway before sealing. Should he wait one day until the driveway is dry before applying the sealant?

Thank you for reading about my dilemma. I look forward to reading your responses.

Old 08-04-09, 04:50 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any experience sealing driveways with AquaPel? Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: