Asphalt Driveway - sealing cracks, seal entire driveway?

Old 07-25-09, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asphalt Driveway - sealing cracks, seal entire driveway?

I have a large driveway parking lot. There were a lot of cracks in the asphalt, so I sealed each crack with asphalt crack sealants. Took about 6 hours of work.

I was then just about to lay one complete sealant coat over the entire driveway when a friend said that if you seal the entire driveway, it actually prevents escape of moisture from the asphalt and that speeds up the deterioration of the asphalt.

Is this true? Give me a clue please!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-09, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
I'm no driveway sealer expert but it seems to me that the drives that are maintained with sealer every 2-3 yrs look and hold up better than those that don't get sealed..... just my observations

Old 07-27-09, 09:56 AM
Main reason for sealing a driveway besides looks...

dvarga,
Doesn't it make sense one of the main reasons for sealing a driveway besides looking good is to keep the water OUT of the asphalt interior?
Normally I'm thinking that a lot of that moisture the other guy's talking about comes up from the ground, rarely from the top-side, if the asphalt is sealed and/or installed properly -- and it certainly should be able to dissipate the same way because you have a compressed gravel base to draw the moisture.
Water that would've gotten into those cracks you sealed would've done more damage to the driveway in the freezing cold than any moisture 'trapped' under the asphalt don't you think?
No expert by any means... just my $.02 and I'm sealing mine next week.
Gary

Old 07-27-09, 08:11 PM
moisture and asphault

Yes, I had been moving towards sealing just the cracks, then applying a seal over the entire driveway. Then my friend mentioned about the driveway needing to 'breathe' and the sealer perhaps stopping the moisture from escaping up and out the asphault. This somehow (he said) degraded the asphault.

However I know there is a deep base of gravel under the driveway and and also the ground overall is not 'wet'. Thus there would not be much moisture under the driveway.

I think I'll continue with my original plan to now seal the driveway. I figure the cracks that allow water in during the winter, then it freezes, would speed up the deterioration of the ashphaut.