Footing

Old 08-08-09, 11:57 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Footing

Hi: We live in a community where virtually all of the homes have crawl spaces. That said, in general how far down is the footing?

Old 08-08-09, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Footing

Being a crawl space does not mean much. There are several different types of foundation systens (pier, continuous, etc).

The local code office could give you some direction on whether it is the bare minimum or it may be something deeper based on local amendments.

You can always dig a little to determine what the real depth is. Often, people build better than the code, since it (the code) is just the worst you can build and still be legal.

Dick

Old 08-08-09, 02:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weather its a crawl space or not a below grade footer/freeze is required and is the same in depth if its an outside wall or in an unheated area. I'm north of you in southern pa. Footings are 18" for a frost and no living structure is allowed on that other then a storage shed/ patio.

Code here for a structure to sit on needs to be 36" below finish grade weather its a Pier or a full length footer.

check with the code. The one thing I would like to ask are you building an addition on that has a crawl space. If so get back and I can give you the skinny on the Best proper way to insulate hands down, It can also be a redo in existing for insul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: