prepping/painting stucco atrium

Old 08-20-09, 01:50 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
prepping/painting stucco atrium

we put a new window in the bathroom that sees into the little atrium area. put new stucco around the window. that stucco is now plain color and the rest of the atrium stucco color is like grayish white.

i want to paint the whole atrium a new color now. i bought the exterior stucco paint 2-gals, 3/8 nap rollers and stuff.

would like to know the pro's way of prepping the stucco walls if there is any. i thought of lightly scrubbing the walls and hosing them down to clean them, give them a day or two to dry, then roll the paint on.

any tips/pointers are most welcome, thx

Old 08-20-09, 05:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
As long as it's clean, your good to go. Make sure any chalk is removed! You should prime the new stucco. If you don't have enough raw stucco to warrant buying primer, take some of the finish paint and thin it 10% with water and use that for primer.

I don't know how rough/smooth your stucco is but you probably want to use a 3/4" roller.

Old 08-27-09, 05:10 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey Marksr,

so cool to have this forum and get this kind of help!! i'd be lost.

the only new stucco is around the new window. and bit around an access panel i put in. i was wondering about the primer but didn't have an answer. thanks for answering that.

i may just get a quart of primer that matches the old off white/grayish color that is on the atrium walls or take the 10% water suggestion to the new paint color.

the rollers i got are in fact 3/4".

thanks again for the help!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: