Cultured or natural stone veneer on exterior columns?

Old 08-29-09, 10:15 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cultured or natural stone veneer on exterior columns?

I have three masonry colums (16" square, 8' tall) that I need to face with stone veneer. The columns support the cover for an outdoor kitchen, so people will be seeing them up close. The original plan was to use cultured stone, but I have a concern.

My wife and I both want dry stacked ledgestone and we both like the darker colors. It seems to me that much of the surface will be taken up by corner pieces and many of the straight pieces will have to be cut to length to fit. It seems to me that this means the composite will likely peek out on the ends because the butts will be rough. I think this would ruin the look.

Some cultured stone has a light colored based that's painted (like Owens Corning). Even the stuff that is colored throughout has a base color mixed in that is different from the surface color. Also, the composite material will show.

So,

1) Will I need to cut pieces as much as I think I will?

2) Will the ends show as much as I think they will? Remember, I can't cover the ends with mortar because this is a dry stack and the mortar is only on the back of the veneer, not in between.

3) Would I be better off going with a thin natural veneer? (I don't want to add more than 4" to the width of the columns.) I've never installed either cultured or natural stone and I hear the latter is quite a bit more difficult to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 08-29-09, 03:18 PM
T
Cultured stone, for example, is modular on a 4-8-12-16 system, so with culling, you should be able to do 16x16 columns with little to no cutting. Use the culls down low and up high, and use a mortar/thinset that is close to the color of the stone. Lightly coat the cut ends with the mortar/thinset. Also place the cuts so that they are facing the least visible viewpoints.

Old 08-29-09, 06:02 PM
T
Wrong thread, edited. My mistake.

Old 08-31-09, 09:21 AM
M
That is very helpful

Thank you very much. I think I'm good to go, now. As soon as the weather here in Tucson cools, I'll be installing the cultured stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: