Hole in Concrete Foundation where Water Drain is

Old 09-06-09, 12:18 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hole in Concrete Foundation where Water Drain is

I removed a built-in gas fireplace, and found a hole in the concrete foundation underneath where the fireplace was:

Picasa Web Albums - Sarah

The white pipe is the water drain coming from the bathrooms on the 2nd floor. The wall is an exterior wall, but there are no leaks or known exposure to the outside (heavy rain today, when the photo was taken).

My next project is to remove the existing finished floor (cork) and lay tile, so I need to either repair the concrete or do some other repair to make the floor level. I'm nervous to fill the hole in with concrete over the water pipe connection.

Any suggestions?

~Sarah

Old 09-07-09, 05:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How thick is the cork floor? When you remove it, will it all be level?

Old 09-08-09, 02:48 PM
A
I think the cork floor is 5/8" and is laid over a vapor barrier underlayment, maybe another 1/8 inch - it is level underneath the cork (I installed the cork).

So far I have one opinion that its OK to patch the concrete over the water drain. I'm holding off until a few more people offer opinions - the drain wasn't designed to ever be accessed (underneath a fireplace) but I'm curious if it will be damaged by putting concrete over it.

Old 09-08-09, 04:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you removed the cork floor & laid 1/2 plywood over everything as a sub floor, then you wouldn't have to fill the hole with cement.

Old 09-08-09, 09:18 PM
A
The 1/2" plywood with tiles on top will be too high - there are doorways and a staircase adjacent to the tiling area. I'm also tiling about 400 SF - its really too much for a relatively small hole.

I'm leaning towards just filling in the hole, but will ponder a while longer. I still have plenty of work to do before starting the tiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: