Concrete Driveway Pour Delayed - problems?

Old 09-18-09, 06:29 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Driveway Pour Delayed - problems?

Hello - I'm new to this Forum, and appreciate any advice I can get.

Had my double-wide concrete driveway poured today....one length (one side) completed with no problem. Extra concrete left in truck from the morning's pour was put on part of the other side of the driveway....spread 3" thick (on what will be a 6" driveway done with fibre, rebar, and wiremesh) over a 12'x20' section. Second concrete truck that was SUPPOSED to come at 1:00pm didn't show up until 3:30pm.

Contractor said it was no problem, and when the truck showed up at 3:30pm, he poured the additional 3" on top of the 3" he poured hours before. The "first pour" was firm to walk on....I could see some of the wire-mesh in a small section of the first pour, but not throughout the entire area.

I expressed my concerns to contractor:
-would the "second pour" adhere properly to the "first pour"?
-told him that if he was making the decision that it was fine and was going to pour, that I wanted him to sign a paper before we pay him saying he will take care of any problems we experience in the future...if "that side" of the driveway doesn't last.

Can I stop being NervousNelly? Or do I have reasons to be concerned....and if so, do you think having contractor sign something before getting paid is the way to go now?

Thank you.

Old 09-20-09, 03:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The fact that the second pour was a full 3" plus that the delay was only a few hours, I wouldn't worry about it. The contractor should stand behind his work no matter if he signs anything or not. At the same time, he has no control over the delivery.

Old 09-20-09, 04:46 PM
No need to be nervous. This kind of stuff happens everyday.
Actually, having only been down for a couple of hours could actually be revived with water. I would listen to your contractor. Good Luck

Old 09-21-09, 10:40 AM
N
Jack the Contractor and Pulpo - thank you both very much for your responses. It's been a nervous weekend worrying whether my driveway will be okay.....I feel much better now.

This is a wonderful forum....with helpful people - much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: