Concrete Step nosing question

Old 09-19-09, 06:24 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Step nosing question

Hello, I'm currently working on remolding a set of steps and wanted them to be molded out quite similarly to steps around the neighbors. Well apparently, the steps nosing has a round curve with a "control joint" or "inner corner" in them. What kind of tool can I use to shape this out?

I've checked out on the internet and I can not find any documentation on how to shape these out.

Take a look at the photo for a better example!

Last edited by Kortiz07; 09-19-09 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-19-09, 08:14 PM
P
Do an internet search for Stegmeier forms or Mortex forms. These are companies that manufacture styrofoam forms with profiles similar to what your photo shows. Good luck.

Old 09-19-09, 08:37 PM
K
From the looks at it, it looks like just ran a Brick Trowel though the cement.

Old 09-20-09, 06:31 AM
P
Maybe you can see them better than what the photo shows, but to me it looks like those nosings are too perfectly shaped to have been done by hand. By the time the concrete has set enough to take the forms off without the steps sagging, it would be too late to simply drag a trowel through it.
I am assuming here that you have removed the steps and are attempting to pour new ones. Or perhaps you just want to add some material to the existing square edged steps to build them out into the shape shown in the photo? If the latter, I would caution against it. It is highly unlikely that the new stuff will last very long.

Last edited by Pecos; 09-20-09 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 09-21-09, 12:06 PM
K
Thank you for the reply!

I can always go with the default step design, I just wanted to keep them consistent. How much approx would custom made cost forms usually run about?

Old 09-21-09, 02:18 PM
K
After searching more on the web, I've found this tool,
#156 - Step Nosing Tool - Large

Weird enough that place is in Philadelphia!! Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to this tool?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: