Cement between brick and dirt

Old 09-22-09, 10:44 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cement between brick and dirt

My backyard lawn slopes down toward my solid brick house. I need to raise it near the house which will bring the dirt in contact with the first and second courses of brick. I am told this is a bad idea becasue it creates continuous moisture on bricks. Can I pour a small sidewalk that comes up to the second course of brick in order to keep the dirt off of it? There would be a few inches of gravel underneath this sidewalk, thus having the 1st course of brick touching gravel and not dirt.

Any other option besides French drain or taking down grade of entire backyard? What about brick path with crushed stone (or whatever they use under pavers) up against the house brick?

Thank you for any insight you can provide

Old 09-22-09, 08:30 PM
T
Code requires 4" of foundation between dirt and brick veneer (unless designed for it). You need to pursue other options than banking dirt against your brick. Brick veneer is weeped at the bottom of the wall to allow moisture to leave the cavity, plus the wicking issue you state.

Old 09-23-09, 02:46 PM
B
solid brick house

I am not sure what you mean by veneer but I suspect it means one layer of brick on the outside of the house. My house is solid brick. I believe it is 4 courses thick. Does this change anything? Does it still need to drain? Can I pour a sidewalk against it?

Thanks,

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: