Cut 3 inch reinforced concrete "counter" in tight location?

Old 09-29-09, 04:11 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cut 3 inch reinforced concrete "counter" in tight location?

Hi all,

I've got a backyard bar-b-que island, which has it's counter top made from ~3 inch concrete, reinforced with 3/8" rebar.

I need to completely cut out a section, about 3 feet long by about 6 inches wide.

The location of the cut for the 6 inches wide part, is very tight and therefor rules out any "heavy duty" equipment being used (not to mention, this is at counter top height...not a floor). I'm thinking a circular saw will not fit either.

My question is two part:

1. Is there any angle grinder (or similar) hand held tool that would stand up to a job like that?
and
2. What kind of blade should I use? Would Diamond be OK for cutting through the rebar as well? Can I reasonably expect 1 blade to last for this job?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-09, 07:11 PM
P
A diamond blade will cut through rebar as well as concrete. A 4.5 inch angle grinder equipped with diamond blade will only cut about 3/4 inch deep. You need to go deeper, preferably all the way through. If a circular saw is too big to fit, I'd try to find a diamond blade to fit a 7 inch grinder. That may do it. Otherwise use the 4.5 inch one and cut a little, chip a little, cut a little, chip a little....

Old 09-30-09, 12:29 PM
R
Thanks for the reply Pecos.

Would a segmented, or continuous rim diamond blade be better for this type of application?

Old 09-30-09, 12:38 PM
P
Segmented, definitely. I use them daily to do just what you're doing. Even a cheap one (less than $15) on my 4.5 inch angle grinder will last me several months. Be sure to wear personal protective gear!

Old 09-30-09, 04:36 PM
R
Good advice, and thanks for the recommendations. Much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: