DIY Egress well covers.

Old 10-04-09, 10:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY Egress well covers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to build a large egress well cover? I know I can buy commercially made covers but I don't want to spend $1000.

I have two egress window wells, they are masonry and rectangular in size. One is very large measuring about 80" in length, and the other is probably half that width.

I was thinking about building a framework out of pressure treated lumber and then using corrugated fiberglass to cover, but i am concerned about the weight. I still want the egress to remain accessible for exit for my kids.

Old 10-04-09, 11:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You can build them of landscape timbers, 6x6's etc., but you will need to seal the backfilled side so water and dirt won't wash in the area. Sealing the ends to the building is equally important. Not sure where you were planning on using the corrugated fiberglas, but not on the window side. All the weight will be on the ground, so not sure where the worry is there, either.
Second thought, are you dressing up existing window wells, or creating new ones?

Old 10-04-09, 07:59 PM
T
These are existing wells made of cement. The top of the wells are about 10" above grade so no concern for ground water.

Old 10-04-09, 08:12 PM
You will need something a child can lift or push away while climbing out.

I saw one for a window well that had a 6' sliding door between the basement and the well. There, they used a sliding window set on an angle to reflect the rain, buy could be slid open. If it leaked, it was not a problem because there were plants in the well.

Dick

Old 10-05-09, 03:04 AM
P
Just curious as to why you want it covered to begin with. If it's for emergency egress, I would think no cover would provide the fastest means for escape.

Old 10-05-09, 06:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I misread the OP, sorry. You were looking for a "cover", and I missed that crucial word. If the well is drained properly and the windows sealed, I would not, for the sake of safety cover it in any way, especially if children are present. They may not have the height nor the strength to open it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: