No luck in removing oil stain in asphalt driveway

Old 10-06-09, 06:58 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No luck in removing oil stain in asphalt driveway

I have a good size stain (30 sq feet) on my asphalt driveway from a couple of quarts of hot engine oil leaking on it and have tried the following to get rid of it without much of a change.
  1. put kitty litter on it for the 1st 3 days, occasionally moving it around to try and get it to absorb more of the oil.
  2. tried a bunch of household degreasers and detergents with very little change
  3. tried oil stain removers from big box stores and still not luck.
The above has made a slight improvement but not much. All i have really accomplished is killing all the grass on the edge of the drive from all the cleaners.

I was wondering if i heated the asphalt with a torch to burn off the excess oil in the asphalt, would this be better then putting a sealer over it and the rest of the driveway hide it?

Old 10-06-09, 11:24 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Treatment

I have power washed these spots, handscrubbed and tried to beat these stains out with little to no success. I have had GREAT luck doing a good cleanup job, and then applying a specialized product for sealing these spots. The product I used I bought at the local Homedepot or Loews and was very happy. I sealed the driveway and after using these products the oil spot has had no impact on the results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: