Fireplace Resurfacing

Old 10-17-09, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace Resurfacing

I'm planning to resurface my brick fireplace with a "meshed stone" (real stone, cut to 1/2" thickness, attached to mesh backing for easy of install). I have a few questions:

1) I'm planning to start by installing lathe on the brick and a scratch coat of mortar, followed by using a notched trowel to mortar the wall and back-butter the stone. What is the appropriate mortar to use? I've read "type-n" is a good choice.

2) I've done a fair amount of tiling (ceramic, travertine, etc) where I use a mortar, then a separate grout. Should I be using a standard sanded grout for the stone - I would imagine not, since the grout lines will be larger (~3/4"). Is the best method to fill with the same material as used for mortar? Lastly, I'd like a neutral colored grout, if I use the same mortar material can it be colored to a neutral?

3) The fireplace currently has a "seat" in front of it (about 12" off the floor) that is level with the floor of the firebox. This seat is currently brick (different than the firebrick inside the firebox). Instead of using the same stone for the seat, I've considered simply concreting it flat (stained). Does anyone have any recommendations of how to do this (product to use, technique, etc)? As long as I don't go INTO the firebox with any of these products, I assume there is no need to use any special products around the heat...is this accurate?

Thanks,
Guy

Old 10-18-09, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thinking about it today, my plan for attaching the stone (LANDSCAPE - MESHED PRODUCTS Collection - Golden White | M S International, Inc.) to my brick fireplace surround is to apply the lathe first, then use a standard thinset to set the stone, and then use saltillo grout (custombuildingproducts.com/docs/data_sheets/Saltillo%20Grout%2010%20Part%20Spec.pdf?user=arc&lang=en) for the wide grout lines. Please let me know if this seems like a reasonable plan.

I'd still like more info on re-finishing the seat in concrete if anyone has any ideas there.

Thanks,
Guy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: