Concrete for shed base - How thick?

Old 10-17-09, 09:35 PM
Concrete for shed base - How thick?

Would like the start a DIY shed that is 8x8. How thick of a pour do i need to support this? Is concrete even needed or should I go with a pea gravel and treated lumber base. Not sure how much concrete would be needed or how much compare to moveable base.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-09, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless you plan on driving a car or tractor on it, I would opt for a 3" minimum slab. If you don't go with concrete (preferred), make a base of gravel, BUT, you should have a flooring system in the shed which would be able to breathe. Here's a site to help you on your concrete: Concrete Slab Calculator - The Concrete Network

Old 10-18-09, 07:06 AM
I think that a concrete slab is the cheapest and easiest way to go. I would make it at least 3" thick and I would probably use remesh. Make sure that all the sod is removed and the gravel base is compacted.

Another option is to build your framing on posts. In my area a shed on a concrete slab is considered a permanent outbuilding and is taxed as such. A shed bolted to posts sunk in the ground is considered temporary and is not taxed.

My 8'X12' shed frame rests on 6 PT 6"X6" ties that are sunk 3' deep. I poured a bag of concrete in each hole around the posts. I used PT joists and lag bolted them to the posts. I removed the sod and spread 3-4" of pea gravel. I kept the floor a couple of inches off the ground for ventilation.