Fastening Limstone Caps

Old 12-03-09, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fastening Limstone Caps

I have a small brick ledge by my entryway that is currently capped with 4" thick solid cinder blocks. Now, I have some limestone pieces that are approximately 2" x 8" x 13" that I want to cap it with. The sides of the ledge are painted to match the house (both the brick and the cinder blocks), so I want to just put the limestone ledge on top.

Should I use mortar or modified thinset to fasten the limestone to the cinder blocks?

(I'm in Indiana, so there will be freezing and thawing)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-09, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Limestone coping

I have used both methods in laying stone and being a stonemason I lean toward the mortar . My personal view is when laying brick, block or stone , you use mortar . When laying tile , use thinset not mortar .Now , there could be thinset products on the market today that could do your job however , I still stand by the mortar , in your particular case . There are 4 different types M S N and O . Choose type S ,it's strong and will do your job. Straight Portland would also be a good choice with a little coarser sand than bricksand. Make sure the top of the wall has no paint as the mortar will not bond to the paint . Try to overlap your coping stone over the block and brick . If you have any questions let me know I'll try to help