Sealing of Sidewalk Spacers

Old 12-08-09, 08:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing of Sidewalk Spacers

I would like to seal the wood spacers in my sidewalk to keep them from rotting. I have done some research and cannot find anything specific. I assume that some sort of silicone would be appropriate, however there are a multitude of choices and I have no idea which would be best for this application. I would like the end result to be level and smooth and not the big gloppy mess that ends up shrinking and pulling away from the concrete that you so often see.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-09, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just wondering....are these already in place? If they are, then the rot is going to come from the bottom...putting anything on top would just speed the process.

I've always wondered though..why haven't they come up with some sort of synthetic for that. I guess you could use some sort of synthetic decking....

Concrete Pro's will be around....

Old 12-08-09, 10:05 AM
S
Gunguy, thank you for the info and yes sir, they are already in place. That being the case it seems I am back to square one. Any other ideas?

Old 12-08-09, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well...as I said..possible replacement with the composite stuff...but most folks just pry out the old rotted junk...clean out the slot and put in new. Either pressure treated or some rot resistant wood like cedar or redwood...though in ground contact..those won't last as long as PT. Maybe once every 10 yrs or so you do it again.

Depending on where you are in TX..you may have conditions similar to mine... PT or rot resistant wood can last almost forever...

Now..of course I know there are many parts of the state that receive real rain and have real soil...lol.

We have a couple of Pro's here from down in that area..let them advise further...

Old 12-08-09, 01:19 PM
W
Sixby6 - I can't think of anything that will arrest the rot so you might be better off replacing the separators with ground contact rated PT lumber.

I just tore up a sidewalk that had wood separators between slabs. Most of the separators were PT ties and they came out in pretty much the same condition as they were when I put them in 25 years ago. Not so for a small section that had a PT 2X4 border. That stuff was rotted most of the way through.

Old 12-08-09, 08:43 PM
T
The information as to how to create proper sealed joints is widely available, but you do have to know the technical terms for what you are trying to do to search them out.

If the wood is in decent shape, you will have to grind/saw it out to a depth at approximately equal to twice the width. As an example, if your joints are 3/4" (common), then you need a clean depth of 1-1/2" (deeper is no problem).

The joint should be cleaned thoroughly of all loose material, blown clean of dust, allowed to dry, and backer rod should be applied to a depth that will provide a joint depth about equal to 1/2 the width (for joints less than 1-1/2" wide). A good quality sealant is then applied, tooled, and allowed to cure before being used, frozen, or rained upon.

Done properly, joints will easily last 10 years, done half-ass, maybe 1 year.

Keywords:

"joint design", "expansion joint detail", "three sided adhesion"