painting brick fireplaces

Old 12-27-99, 08:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Does anyone have any experience with painting brick fireplaces? I want to paint the outside of my interior fireplace. My concern is that the fireplace does get rather warm when lit. Presumably I should use some type of fire retardant paint. Any suggestions? Should a sealer or primer be used first?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-99, 01:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Funny, most people ask how to undo painted brick work. Many types of brick should not be painted in the first place. Those that can be painted have a high paint failure rate. The biggest problem is moisture migration.

With that said, cement paints (you can make it yourself) last longer than other types of paint. Sealing before hand will provide a slight undo button, when the time comes.

One way to make cement paint: purchase a gallon of "Deep Base" Latex paint. This is a tinting base, that will hold the maximum amount of pigments. Purchase White Portland or standard Portland Cement plus Dry Earth Colors. Mix the dry ingredients, slightly darker than the color desired. Add dry to wet ingredients, thin with water, paint. Ready made cement paints can be purchased.