"Check" or plain old crack

Old 12-18-09, 05:29 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 101
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Check" or plain old crack

I had some new steps put in last February. After a couple of months the top landing center concrete portion, at the door, started cracking. There are now two approx. 1/16” cracks and many smaller ones. I won’t go into details but I am almost certain this will wind up in small claims court. Is “check” a masonry term for a crack or is this more BS like everything else this sleezeball has told me. BTW is there anyplace on doityourself to rate a contractor?
Old 12-18-09, 07:20 PM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,344
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A check is a another word for crack. I have never heard it used for concrete, just wood. A check in a piece of wood would be a crack at the end of the board.
Old 12-22-09, 08:21 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,304
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Checking" as it relates to concrete is generally meant to indicate a pattern of surface cracks that have perpendicular cracking, resembling a chess board. As a rule it indicates that the concrete was over worked and too much paste was brought to the surface or that it dried too quickly.

The reason it is called "checking" in wood or concrete is that the perpendicular cracks tend to "check" or stop further cracking along the longitudinal axis of the crack.

In the case of checking on a new set of steps, I would deem it unacceptable and demand a tear out and redo.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: