out of level concrete slab.

Old 12-24-09, 09:49 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
out of level concrete slab.

I have an asphalt driveway that leads into the garage, which has a concrete floor.
We just had new garage doors installed, and discovered that the apron (?-the concrete strip, approximately 12 inches wide that leads into the garage- the place where the garage door rests when closed) is about 1 inch out of level. it is level for most of the width of the door, but slopes in the last 18 inches, resulting in the left end of the door being 1 inch lower that the right- so either the door out of level when completely closed- which looks bad; or there is a 1 inch gap at the left side of the door0-not good in terms of weather and insect/rodent pests.
Is there a product that could be used to level this area, that could handle the weight of the car being driven into and out of the garage?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-09, 08:00 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Put a level on the ground & on the door. Determine which one is not level. Did the old door have the same gap? It's probably easier to adjust the door, no matter what.

Old 12-26-09, 09:16 AM
D
It sounds like the door meets the concrete for most of the way except for the last 18 inches where it drops off.

Old 12-27-09, 05:44 PM
M
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
Put a level on the ground & on the door. Determine which one is not level. Did the old door have the same gap? It's probably easier to adjust the door, no matter what.
The door is level, the ground is not.
The old wooden door had the same gap, but I attached a very large rubber gasket to the bottom, which sealed the gap while keeping the door level.
When we adjust te door to fill the gap, it is obviously out of level, and looks like garbage.

Old 12-27-09, 05:47 PM
M
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
It sounds like the door meets the concrete for most of the way except for the last 18 inches where it drops off.
That's the problem. The gap ranges from 0 to about 1.5 inches.
the new doors are steel-so cutting is not a real option, and the gasket is not thick enough to fill the gap.

Old 12-27-09, 06:38 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Old 12-27-09, 06:41 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Mike,
I had to install a garage door where there was no slope provided, since we could not have the water running into the bay. I cut and created a 10" by 1.5" across a 12' door opening.

The trick is in the diamond blade. They are so easy to run through concrete you won't believe it. A 7" blade (<$20) in my circular saw and a makeshift sloping guide to allow me to make consistent groves along the area to be modified. I knocked out the material left behind with a pneumatic cut-off tool, but a hammer and chisel will do. You can also just take a bit more time and remove it all with the diamond blade. From there you can either cover it with some thin set, or grind it out smooth.

Since you are just correcting the pitch, less of a job. It's a DIY project with some tools, or most masons will be able to grind it for you. It was my mason who told me how. I have since cut a lot of concrete and still have that same blade.

The nice part, is it will fit perfectly. No patching gaskets to the bottom of the door.

It's an option
Bud