Home Addition - With full basement foundation

Old 12-31-09, 07:41 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home Addition - With full basement foundation

I would like to add a addition on the back of my house with a full basement. At this point i am at the planning stage and looking at doing a cost estimate to have this done.

Quick quesiont.

The addition will be 22' x 22' off the backside of the house. The foundation would need to be poured on three sides witht he fourth abbuting the existing house foundation. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-10, 09:26 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That might be one way to do it but you discuss that with the architect. Before you even do that, make sure that you can get a permit for the addition. Call an architect if the building dept. says that they will accept plans.

Old 01-03-10, 02:35 PM
W
You are correct that 3 walls tied to the existing wall is the most common way to do it. When I built my addition I had the foundation work done by a contractor. He told me what the local building code required. In my case it was 8" poured walls, a 16" footer below frost and a 4" slab. I simply wrote the specs, made a pencil sketch (cross section and plan) and took it to the town building office to get the permit. If you do hire an architect he will provide all the info required for your permit.

That was a half dozen years ago and the 600+ s/f foundation cost just over 6K. You should be able to do much better than that given the current construction climate and your location.

Old 01-05-10, 08:24 AM
J
I am also in the planning stages for an addition. Mine will be off the side of my house and will be approx 30X30. I am just looking for a contractor to do the basement and build the shell for the addition. I will do all the interior work, electrical, plumbing etc. Anybody have a ball park figure of what it may cost? I have 2 contractors coming out later this week, but I would like to be prepared if the dollar figure is going to be crazy.