replacing door frame in brick

Old 01-10-10, 10:03 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing door frame in brick

Hello

We have a exterior door frame that needs replaced. It is a steel door frame that is in a brick exterior with a concrete block interior.

I am going to have a contractor do this work and I would like to familiarize myself with what needs to be done for this job.

Please help me understand what is involved in this job.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-10, 06:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You didn't say if the new door will have a steel frame or not but basically he will probably remove the door from the hinges & cut the steel frame in various places with a sawsall. There maybe wood between the steel frame & the block or brick. You won't know until the door is removed.

No matter what, the new door has to be plumb & level or it won't close & seal correctly. Spaces between the door itself & the frame should be even vertically & horizontally. Expect them be there for awhile.

Old 01-11-10, 08:58 AM
M
Replacing Door frame

It's probably a hollow metal frame that you have and should be filled in solid with mortar . There should be 3 anchors on each side of the frame at the hinge level . The most common anchors were shaped like a T or a U that are bent slightly to anchor into the frame and filled with mortar. Put a temporary spreader at hinge level so as the frame does not bow , otherwise you'll have problems installing the door . Usually when you install the frame you fill the first web of block solid also , more so on the hinge side . Some do some don't , I like to see it as it gives added strength to the frame . Make sure the frame is plumb all around and the header level .Not knowing exactly what sort of agreement you have with the contractor I assume he would be taking out 1 possibly 2 courses of block above the door frame and installing either lintel block with re-bar or angle iron . An important item is to insist on a block and brick toothing which involves more work however gives a better job all around and he should have that covered in his estimate . I hope this helps

Old 01-11-10, 02:03 PM
M
Door Frame

The procedure described below is for an 8" wrap around hollow metal door frame with brick veneer & block back up. There are different types of frames which may involve slightly different methods of installation , but basically all the same . Depending on frame and wall construction you may only have to take out the frame itself . As mentioned by a previous member the main thing is plumb and level .