Cracked Spancrete Garage Floor Over Workshop, Leaks.

Old 01-10-10, 10:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I finally found this site. I hope someone can help. I have garage with spancrete floor over a workshop. With Minnesota winters, the spancrete floor developed cracks. When snow and ice melts off our vehicles, water leaks in the the room below. I have had the floor professionally sealed twice. As soon as the seasons change, the spancrete moves and the cracks return. The last time the cracks were grouted and filled with a product that was supposed to move with the floor and maintain the seal. I didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas to help with this situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-10, 11:40 AM

I assume the floor does not have the usual 2" topping that provides more stability especially with the temperature differences between a heated below ground space and a garage with a leaky door and little real insulation.

Just grouting joints does little good.

Tightening up the garage and some insulation can go a long way to prevent the thermal movement and opening the joints and cracks.

As you know, it is difficult to maintain some heat in a garage when the door is opened and a car load is put on the floor that also can open cracks. Insulation will only slow the heat loss, but putting in a 4000# car that is warm does a lot to provide heat in a garage as long as the door is closed and tightly sealed.

The other choice to to just keep filling the joints of they are clean enough to fill properly. The salt in the joints can ruin any filler, especially if there is no drainage.

Dick

Old 01-10-10, 12:23 PM
P
When you say it was "grouted", do you mean with a cement based material? Even the polymer modified ones can only flex so much. I think a rubberized caulk would work if properly installed (meaning the joints and cracks are THOROUGHLY cleaned out, and manufacturer's installation instructions are followed to the letter). Caulk has a lot more adhesion and flexibility than "grout".

Old 01-10-10, 02:25 PM
J
Clarification

I used poor terminology. The cracks were ground out about 3/8" deep and filled with what I was told was a rubberized caulk. After our first heavy freeze, I had water leaking into the room below the garage when snow melted from our vehicles. I hope the clarification helps.

Old 01-11-10, 07:10 AM
P
So when the concrete moves with temperature changes, is the rubberized caUlk opening up or exhibiting signs of splitting or tearing? How much wider do the cracks get? I'm finding it hard to believe that it's actually a caulk failure. I would be more inclined to think that it was simply not prepped and caulked well, or that there are more cracks which haven't been addressed. Remember that water can find it's way through any hailrline crack, even if it's practically invisible to the eye.
When the water leaks in, can you see it coming out of the cracks in the ceiling (the underside of the garage floor)? If you can see exactly where it's actually coming through, maybe you can caulk on the underside as well as up top.

Old 01-11-10, 09:49 AM
C
Spancrete

Jimmy - I sent you a message but check out this website. After weeks of researching and talking to people that had the same problem as me and you this is the route I am going.

G-F One - Minneapolis garage floor, Minnesota concrete floor, polyaspartic

Good luck.

Chad