Foundation crack/water in crawlspace

Old 01-22-10, 04:37 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foundation crack/water in crawlspace

Hi,

New to the forum, first post. I'm remodeling my 1950's 3/4 bath and in the process took up all the floor down to the studs, exposing the crawlspace. I'm in the Los Angeles area and it's been raining for three days straight - that's unusual - and a LOT - for this area.

When I peeked into the bathroom last night I noticed the ground was damp, and on closer inspection I can see a crack in the foundation of the exterior wall at the front of my house - wall is about two feet high, crack runs top-to-bottom, widest section is maybe 1/8 inch.

So, what are my options for repairing this? I'm fairly handy with tools, and it looks like a low-pressure polyurethane foam injection solution may be the most user-friendly and efficient ways to get this done.

Any opinions? BTW, I do know that I need to stop the water at the source - I have some pavers at the front of the house and apparently the grading under one section is a little low, so I'll correct that as well.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-10, 04:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would dig down a few inches past the footing & seal it with a membrane. It comes on a roll from a building supply house. Throw some gravel in the bottom of the hole before you backfill.

Old 01-24-10, 08:31 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
For a permanent fix, you need to apply the solution from the exterior of the foundation. As Pulpo suggests it will require a little digging, but you will only have to do it once it you do it right.

I've never used the low-pressure polyurethane foam injection stuff. Some contractors in our area advertise it. If you can verify the claims, it might do the job.

I've used the approach that Pulpo suggests. I don't remember the name of the product, but I had tp clean the exterior of the wall really good and then put on some tar-like stuff before I applied the membrane.

BTW: Are you certain that the crack has not harmed the support for your house?

Old 01-24-10, 08:55 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Acutally, we heated the wall with a torch to dry it really good & waited an hour. Then we squirted it with a white liquid that comes with the membrane (la leche we called it because it looked like milk).

Then we applied the membrane, threw #8 gravel & backfilled.

Old 01-24-10, 10:46 AM
G
Thanks for the replies, guys. SoxFan, I don't see any evidence of that - I'm in SoCal and cracks aren't uncommon, and it looks like a straight crack, nothing around it appears to be uneven, sagging, etc.