Front porch needs work... advice appreciated.

Old 01-27-10, 01:44 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Front porch needs work... advice appreciated.

The front patio on my house is a monolithic slab which was poured in '96. Has a large low spot however, and water tends to pool right in front of the door. In addition, I have pillars supporting the roof which slightly overhang the edge of the slab... does not cause structural problems but just looks "shabby" in my opinion. I would like to level out the concrete to avoid pooling while at the same time expanding the outside border of the slab by about 2-3". Because the entrance door is a few inches above the current level of the slab, it's definitely possible to pour up to about 2" thick on top of the existing pad. Is this even physically possible? Thanks for all help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-10, 03:42 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is possible to do what you describe. I've done the exact same thing several times. It's not a simple job though. The biggest problem is bracing the porch roof up to remove the pillars during the pour, then cutting the pillars down to fit them back in later when the concrete is cured. If you simply pour around the pillars, the concrete will definitely crack there.
There are a few more things that need to happen as well, such as breaking off the top corner of the existing slab into roughly a 45 degree angle, laying a bond-breaking membrane, and placing plenty of rebar across the top and down the face of the new concrete.
You may instead consider obtaining a hand-held grinder or concrete saw with diamond blades and scoring in some decorative lines that will channel the water off the slab. If you cut them on a diagonal so as to make diamond shaped sections of slab, they end up looking similar to tiles. They could then be stained if you wish for a better effect. You could get someone to lay a soldier course of brick along the front edge of the porch, or pour some decorative stamped or colored concrete there to build the porch out a few inches so the pillars don't overhang. These options would be effective and cheaper, and you wouldn't need to take out the pillars. Good luck.

Last edited by Pecos; 01-27-10 at 03:49 AM. Reason: more info