marble installation

Old 02-16-00, 02:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

We recently had marble tiles installed in our living room. I'm wondering if they were installed properly because the only thing he did was pour cement on the back of it and stick it to the floor. Someone told me that some sord of wired net should've used as well. The worst part is that I'm starting to notice that there are cracks in some of the tiles.
PLEASE HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-00, 08:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Other than information, I don't know what help I can offer. The method(s) you're refering to are "full mortar bed" and "thin bed".
A full mortar be would raise the floor between 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches including the tile. A thin bed would raise the floor from 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inches. Both methods include a bed of mortar with embedded wire. Both methods add load to the floor joists. Thus, the floor must be stressed for the additional load. Currently, mortars exist where marble tile can be laid directly on plywood or backer board. Selecting an installtion method is not a matter of "right or wrong", it's a matter of matching the installtion to the conditions at hand.

In the sense of long range planning, a full mortar bed will withstand more abuse and movement, than the other methods. But, the down side is most homes with wood joists are not designed to carry the additonal load.

Among the reasons why your tile is cracking: movement (the building, with transmission of the movement through the floor), voids in the mortar, poor tile.