What type of concrete mix for basement drain tile installation?

Old 01-30-10, 04:16 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of concrete mix for basement drain tile installation?

I'm going to install interior drain tile in my basement and after all is said and done, one of the key issues for me will be proper concrete finishing. What type of Sakrete mix would be best? And also, is there something I can do to get a somewhat decent bond between the new concrete and the existing slab?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-10, 06:04 PM
P
Any sakrete will work, but I would go with the 5,000 psi stuff because it has a higher cement content. Make sure to mix it exactly per instructions (not too wet) or it will shrink more than it should.
Go to the post "Do I need to worry about this new concrete" below. It will show you what your new concrete is likely to look like after it's poured up against the old. There will be a slight crack all along where they butt up against each other. This is very common.
There's a previous thread on page 2 regarding the same job. It's entitled something like "reusing old concrete in a bathroom slab".
Skoorb originally asked about bonding agent to hold the concrete together. You can try painting some on, but it won't help in this application. The crack will happen anyway when the new concrete shrinks a bit.

Old 01-30-10, 07:40 PM

Only to add that the more water you add the more it will shrink, especially with the higher cement content in the bagged mix. - You do not"pour" concrete, you place it and work it to get it compacted and then a acceptable surface.

Remember this is a patch over a drainage system of pervious fill and a drain tile to carry water away.

Old 01-31-10, 03:37 PM
Z
Thanks. I don't really have an issue with a tiny crack. The concern with a floor crack would be when there was inadequate drainage and the possibility of water seeping up through that crack but with this drainage, it'll be fine.

So the dryer the mix the better, or as per instructions.

Not sure what this comments means but I am aware of what the application is:

"Remember this is a patch over a drainage system of pervious fill and a drain tile to carry water away."

Old 02-01-10, 08:34 AM
B
I think he is saying that your job will require drain type tile or "perforated" plastic drain pipe placed into the ditch you dig below your removed concrete. I believe I would lay a strip of geotextile cloth in this ditch and then add a washed gravel bed and the drain pipe. This geotextile cloth will sock in the gravel and piping filtering out solids. After you repour the concrete over the top any ground water will/should take the path of least resistance which should be the drain pipe to the sump. That will occur below the floor level hence you should not see any water emerge from this new "cold joint in the floor.

If you feel you should provide reinforcing for the new concrete you could consider 8", or 10" or 12" durawall steel manufactured to reeinforce horizontal block joints depending on the width of your cut.

Fill the removal area carefully and when you trowel sweep across the newly poured concrete back onto existing constantly clean scraping the excess from the top of existing to feather endges in close proximity to one another. Don't over trowel too soon but stay with it for a good smooth patch. Any stains on old cement from troweling new needs to be cleaned off not when still wet but t least still in same day of pour as it drys. If you don't get it this same day count on just living with it.

Good luck with your job.

bs5