Etching concrete with muriatic acid

Old 02-04-10, 07:03 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Etching concrete with muriatic acid

I am planning to stain my garage floor and have been told that I should etch it first with muriatic acid. Can anyone give me a detailed explanation of how this is done? Thanks in advance.....buzcar

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-10, 09:23 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buzcar View Post
I am planning to stain my garage floor and have been told that I should etch it first with muriatic acid. Can anyone give me a detailed explanation of how this is done? Thanks in advance.....buzcar
I've stained a number of basement and garage floors without using muratic acid to clean them.

Muratic acid is tough stuff that can burn your skin, blind you and ruin your clothes. The only time I've ever used it is to eliminate efflorescence from an old basement wall.

I'd suggest soap & water or a bleach solution or a cleaning product from the big box stores.

Old 02-04-10, 10:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
If the concrete is slick and a little shiny looking, it will need to be etched. It's been a long time since I've used any muratic acid, I think you cut it in half with water and then scrub the concrete with it and rinse well. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will reply

Old worn concrete just needs a good cleaning [and drying] before applying your stain.

Old 02-04-10, 01:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A couple of things.

If you are acid staining the floor, do not acid etch it.

If you use muriatic to etch it the dilution BEGINS at 1 part acid to 5 parts water.

Always pour acid into water, not vice versa.
Muriatic Acid is a 30% dilution of hydrochloric acid~nasty stuff!

Some consumer acid is a waste product from the pickling of steel and may contain metals that could stain the concrete.