Concrete Patio questions

Old 02-14-10, 12:13 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete Patio questions

My wife and I moved into our first home in the LA area in October and didn't think anything of the ugly and poorly graded concrete patio in the backyard thinking the backyard would be something we could take our time to invest into in the future.

Well, January came and with it the worst storms California has had in years and almost flooded our den through the sliding glass door. Our house is in a L shape, and the poorly graded backyard pooled up all the water against the house. Luckily, we were able to sump the water out before it did much damage to the walls, but the concrete is even worse than it was before. It's cracking all over the place and is more of an eyesore than ever.

Since we just bought the house and don't have much saved for repair projects, should we worry about re-doing the concrete patio now? Wait until summertime? We want to put drains in to go around the house and drain out the front so should we just pull up all the old concrete patio and re-do it? Does it need to be re-connected to the existing foundation (slab on grade)?

I know this is all kind of vague, but I suppose any suggestions on what to be aware of and what to look for and what to check with the estimates is what I'm asking. Would love some advice if I could get it. Thanks.

-B

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 04:08 PM
P
If it's all cracked up, then slabjacking would be a waste of time. That leaves tearing it out and re-doing. The timing for it depends completely on how lucky (or unlucky) you feel regarding future heavy rains, or how you intend to deal with the water when it does happen. If you're worried about collateral damage i.e. damaged drywall, mold, wood rot, etc. then taking care of it soon would at least put your mind at rest.
You probably shouldn't tie the new slab to the existing foundation.

Old 02-14-10, 04:20 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The pitch is the first problem. Don't even think about fixing the patio without correcting the pitch at the same time.

Last edited by Pulpo; 02-14-10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 07:06 AM
B
Yeah, rolling the dice, right? I feel like it would take a week at most to finish so I'm thinking the sooner the better if the weather looks good.

And yeah, Pulpo. I'll have to regrade no matter what since that is the primary problem.