stairs partially collapsed

Old 02-24-10, 12:33 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The tile on the stairs in front of my house has become separated this winter due to ice/snow/salt and recently the bottom stair partially collapsed. The tile is over concrete but the concrete on the facing of the bottom stair also cracked into two or three pieces and collapsed outward knocking the tiles off the front. What looks like dirt also fell out from behind the concrete and caused the top of the stair to just slightly sink down. Can anyone recommend a way to fix this so 1) this doesn't happen again, and 2) without having to dismantle all the tile and redo everything? I've drawn a diagram to illustrate the problem:

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-10, 01:05 PM

Based on the brief description, it looks like salt, moisture and freezing of poorly constructed steps. The remaining steps are not are behind is the progression. The entire concrete stairs were probably built by the same guy and in tha same manner.

If a shallow pices of concrete falls off revealing dirt, there is not much build on or patch.

Take a long hard look at trying to patch it for a year or so of extra life..

Dick

Old 02-24-10, 01:27 PM
C
You are correct that the same person did it. I believe it was the previous owner and he has done countless other shoddy things that we've fixed in the last 4 years.